Saturday, February 1, 2014

Reproduction White Natural Form Bustle Dress

 I fell in love with this dress the minute I saw it and was determined that I would reproduce it just as soon as I could do it properly. As luck would have it, this summer I happened upon some beautiful white cotton voile and even though it was not the gauze that was originally used to make the gown I knew that it would be perfect.
 
My copy of the gown was constructed using materials that were as closed to authentic as I could get. For the overlay I used the aforementioned 100% cotton voile. The underlining fabric was 100% cotton lawn and the bodice was interlined with 100% cotton twill. I was lucky and found cotton leaver's lace to use though I could not find an exact replica of the lace used on the original. The gown was entirely sewn using cotton thread on my modern sewing machine because I have yet to get the treadle machine up and running (my goal is to use it for my next crazy Victorian project).

I am going to admit that I am appalling bad at taking pictures while I am sewing I just get far too caught up in what I'm doing to take the time out to stop and take pictures. But here is the finished project. First a few of just the gown.
The complete gown













I also made accessories to go with the gown. The bonnet blank was bought from the lovely Pamela though I decorated it myself.
The parasol frame was bought from Vena Cava here's a link to make it easy for you http://www.venacavadesign.biz/VCD_shop/index.php?id_product=175&controller=product
It was decorated to replicate this parasol.

And here is my version.

The main body of the parasol is hand dyed silk and is overlaid with cotton eyelet. I wish I could have found eyelet that was as open as the original but alas, I could not. The lace is actual Victorian lace that I was lucky enough to find. All the ribbon is hand dyed silk.


The bonnet is decorated with hand dyed silk ribbon, an ostrich feather and vintage flowers. The inside is finished with gathered voile and leaver's lace.
 


Finally, pictures of me in the gown. All of these pictures were taken at the Pioneer Living History Museum in Phoenix, Az. Special thanks to Montana Jack for his modeling and to Julie Bommersbach for being my photographer.



Disapproval at the saloon.


I really like this picture.


Julie loves this one. I'm not as keen about it.


This is my favorite picture of the day.

You can see the beautiful line of the bustle in this gown.

I also made the bag I am carrying. It is made of the same voile and lawn as the gown and is embroidered with a pattern copied from an 1870s issue of Harper's Bazaar. Unfortunately, I was unable to find silk cording but as soon as I do, I am going to replace the current cord.

If this was in sepia it would look like an authentic 1870s photo.

Julie calls this the ghost picture because you can't see my arms or neck. I still love it.





I think this is the best shot that shows off the airiness of the train.


No comments:

Post a Comment